FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Center fielder Jeisson Rosario recorded his team-high 20th multi-hit game of the season, but the TinCaps fell short in front of a sell-out crowd of 7,462 at Parkview Field on Saturday night 3-2 against the West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers).
West Michigan (38-34) scored first in the top of the first inning. After Brady Policelli singled and stole second, a TinCaps error allowed Policelli to score and give the Whitecaps the early 1-0 lead.
In the top of the fourth, West Michigan’s Jordan Pearce singled to lead off the inning. With two outs, Alexis Garcia tripled to the right field corner, scoring Pearce and adding to the Whitecap lead. Garcia would score off a wild pitch to stretch their advantage to 3-0.
Fort Wayne (32-39) cracked through in the bottom of the fourth. The inning started with a single from center fielder Jeisson Rosario. Right fielder Tirso Ornelas sent a deep fly ball off the wall in right-center field to score Rosario and trim the Whitecap lead to 3-1.
Rosario struck again in the bottom of the sixth inning with a leadoff double down the right-field line. Later, a wild pitch allowed Rosario to score and cut into the Whitecaps edge at 3-2.
In the bottom of the eighth, three walks loaded up the bases for Fort Wayne, but the home team was unable to score. The TinCaps were 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position with six left on base.
Fort Wayne starting pitcher Luis Patiño, 18, showed off his talent again tonight. Patiño pitched four inning with seven strikeouts and didn’t walk anyone.
The TinCaps’ bullpen was solid. The combination of relievers Fred Schlichtholz and Caleb Boushley pitched five scoreless innings, allowed just two hits and fanned six batters.
West Michigan starter Jesus Rodriguez went seven innings, allowed two runs, struck out seven and didn’t issue a walk either.
The Whitecaps have won the first two matchups in the series. The two teams will play a doubleheader Sunday afternoon.
Sunday, June 24 vs. West Michigan (1:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Game 1 Probable Starter: RHP Mason Thompson
- Whitecaps Game 1 Probable Stater: RHP Brad Bass
- TinCaps Game 2 Probable Starter: LHP Tom Cosgrove
- Whitecaps Game 2 Probable Starter: RHP Endrys Briceno
Watch: Comcast Network 81
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
- Whitecaps top TinCaps 4-1
- Whitecaps top TinCaps
- TinCaps top Whitecaps to claim series
- TinCaps Sweep Doubleheader with Whitecaps
- TinCaps Split Doubleheader with Whitecaps
- TinCaps Win Third Straight, Top Whitecaps in Series Finale
- TinCaps Drown Whitecaps on Dreary Night
- Whitecaps beat TinCaps, setting up winner-take-all rubber match
- TinCaps Nearly No Hit Whitecaps in Fourth Straight Win
- TinCaps top Hot Rods