FORT WAYNE, Ind. – An eight-run second inning powered the TinCaps to a 9-2 win over the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays) in front of 6,035 fans at Parkview Field. Fort Wayne has had a crowd of over 6,000 fans at 23 home games so far this season.
A walk to Dwanya Williams-Sutton started the top of the second inning innocently enough. Then, the fun began. The next batter, Justin Lopez smacked a two-run home run, his team-leading 13th of the season. Later in the inning, Jose Lezama lined a two-run double down the left-field line, his first extra-base hit in five games with the TinCaps. Williams-Sutton capped off the second-inning scoring barrage with a grand slam, his third home run in as many games and his fourth dinger in his last eight games. The ’Caps sent 11 men to the plate in the eight-run second inning.
Carlos Guarate impressed in his one and only start with the TinCaps (29-39, 62-74) in 2019, as the 18-year-old allowed just one run in four innings of work with five strikeout. Guarate had posted a 2.22 ERA in 11 appearances (nine starts) in the Arizona League prior to his inaugural start with the TinCaps on Saturday evening.
Another notable from Saturday night’s win: the TinCaps drew eight walks off of the Lugnuts (34-34, 66-71), one short of tying their season high for walks drawn in one game.
Sunday, Sept. 1 vs. Lansing (6:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Cobi Johnson
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
- TinCaps open season's final series with win over Lansing
- TinCaps Win Series, But Lose in Finale
- TinCaps stay hot with road win in Lansing
- TinCaps Win Series Opener Over Loons
- TinCaps Fall in Series Finale to Lugnuts
- Captains Trounce TinCaps in Series Finale
- TinCaps Batter Bees in Series Finale
- TinCaps Win Third Straight, Top Whitecaps in Series Finale
- Timber Rattlers top TinCaps in series opener
- TinCaps top Loons in Series Opener