FORT WAYNE, Indiana – TinCaps center fielder Jeisson Rosario hit an inside-the-park home run, but Fort Wayne fell to the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays), 10-1, on Monday Night at Parkview Field.
The TinCaps (0-5) took the lead in the bottom of the first inning. Rosario hit a ball to the warning track in left field, where left fielder Ryan Noda fielded it on the warning track and threw the ball to second base. However, no infielder for Lansing was there. With the ball rolling through the infield, Rosario sped home to give Fort Wayne the early lead, 1-0.
The Lugnuts (3-2) responded quickly in the top of the second inning. After a leadoff walk, Cullen Large stepped to the plate to send Kevin Smith from first to home with an RBI double to the right-field corner. After the double, Lansing plated four more runners, taking a 5-1 lead.
The scoring for the Lugnuts picked up again in the fifth inning when Smith sent a ball over the left field wall, increasing the lead to 6-1.
Lansing added on three more runs in the seventh inning, as well as a solo home run by Large in the ninth inning to defeat the TinCaps, 10-1.
Lugnuts pitching was outstanding on Monday night, striking out 18 batters total. Donnie Sellers (W) entered in the bottom of the fifth inning to go five innings in relief, allowing only three hits, while striking out 12 Fort Wayne hitters.
Although it wasn’t nearly enough to sway the outcome, right fielder Tre Carter and shortstop Justin Lopez both recorded two-hit games for the TinCaps.
Tuesday, April 10 vs. Lansing Lugnuts (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP MacKenzie Gore
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Maximo Castillo
Watch: Comcast Network 81
Listen: ESPN 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
- TinCaps Grab Early Lead, But Lugnuts Storm Back
- Lugnuts come back to top TinCaps
- 11 Run Seventh Powers Lugnuts Past TinCaps
- TinCaps Fall in Series Finale to Lugnuts
- Lugnuts top TinCaps in rain-shortened game
- Gore Strong in Debut, but TinCaps Fall to Lugnuts
- Weathers Dominates, TinCaps Top Lugnuts in Season Opener
- Lugnuts hand TinCaps their first loss of the season
- TinCaps' comeback falls short in loss to Lugnuts
- TinCaps Close Season with 3-1 Loss to Lugnuts