FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Fort Wayne baseball dropped a Summit League game on Sunday (April 29) afternoon at Mastodon Field to South Dakota State 11-5. It was the rubber game in the three-game set.
Fort Wayne starter Chase Phelps allowed seven runs (four earned) in 6.0 innings. His record falls to 1-2. SDSU starter Brady Moxham sees his record improve to 1-5 after going six innings.
A two-run first inning put the Jackrabbits up early. Fort Wayne cut the deficit in half thanks to a run in the second inning. Dylan Wilbert hit a dart that got past the SDSU right fielder for a triple. The next batter, Zak Kellogg, singled in Wilbert. Kellogg finished with two hits and two RBI on the day.
SDSU opened the game up with three runs in the fourth and two more in the sixth.
Fort Wayne had 10 hits in the contest, with Wilbert, Kellogg and Robert Young III each having two hits, respectively.
Anthony Schneider finished with four runs scored for the Jackrabbits.
Fort Wayne's attempt to rally was thwarted by nine stranded base runners.
South Dakota State improves to 12-24 (9-9 Summit League). Fort Wayne falls to 10-27 (6-15 Summit League). The 'Dons take the upcoming week off for finals, before returning to action on May 4 at Western Illinois. It will be the first of a three-game series with the Leathernecks.
- SDSU takes rubber match of three-game series
- TinCaps Take Rubber Match Against Dayton
- Whitecaps beat TinCaps, setting up winner-take-all rubber match
- Bison beat 'Dons in rubber match shootout
- Dons get week to rest before battle with SDSU
- SDSU eliminates PFW softball from Summit League Tournament
- 'Dons now alone in first place after dominating defending Summit League champ SDSU
- TinCaps Pop Kernels to Take Series
- Komets come back in game four, even series with Walleye
- Komets grab series lead with game five win at Toledo