FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Indiana Tech men’s soccer team defeated regional rival Huntington University, 3-2, Monday night in their home opener at Warrior Athletic Field.
Tech struck quickly as reigning Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) Offensive Player of the Week Erick Turner blasted one past the HU keeper after a pass into the box from Brennan Cochran in the sixth minute. Jaxon Simerman put the Warriors up 2-0 in the 21st minute as he headed in the cross from Ruben Leonardo.
The Foresters would not go down lightly though, coming back with their first goal of the night in the 50th minute as Luke Unger jumped on a rebound to send it in and cut the deficit in half. A fortuitous bounce off an HU defender’s head in the 63rd minute found the back of the net for an own goal following a corner off the foot of Brennan Cochran and the hosts pushed the lead back up to three goals at 2-1.
The visitors kept up the pressure on the Orange and Black though as they made it a one-goal game with five minutes to go in regulation, but that would be as close as they would get as Tech opened their home slate with a victory.
Ivan Safranic made four saves in the win while Turner and Simerman each had a team-high two shots on goal.
Tech (2-1-0) continues a busy week as they welcome in Indiana Wesleyan to the Summit City Thursday for a nonconference showdown. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. from Warrior Athletic Field.
- Indiana Tech edges Huntington University
- Knapke's 30 Leads Indiana Tech Past Huntington
- Huntington North's Landrum signs with Huntington University
- Huntington North's Jarrett Gray Signs with Huntington University
- Hendryx, McCutcheon Sign to Huntington University
- Saige Norris Signs with Huntington University
- Alaina Rongos Signs with Huntington University
- Indiana Tech hoops sweeps Lawrence Tech
- Indiana Tech Basketball Sweeps Cornerstone
- Indiana Tech Basketball Sweeps Aquinas