FARGO, N.D. – Two runs in the seventh and two more in the eighth were the difference in Purdue Fort Wayne's 6-5 baseball victory over North Dakota State on Friday (May 10) afternoon.
The 'Dons trailed 5-2 after six innings. In the seventh, the 'Dons scored two thanks to a Trenton Stoner sacrifice fly and an Alec Brunson double. Jacob Dickson followed with a two-run single in the eighth to put the Mastodons up 6-5. Garrett Mohler and Travis Upp scored on the play.
Trevor Armstrong (3-2) earned the win after pitching two scoreless innings. Duane Miller used a double play to end the game in the ninth and earn his first save. Purdue Fort Wayne starter Chase Phelps went six innings to earn a no decision.
Mohler finished 3-of-4 with a double and one RBI. Brunson recorded two doubles.
Parker Harm (4-5) suffered the loss for NDSU. He is now 4-5.
The Mastodons out-hit the Bison 10-8. Both teams left nine men on base.
North Dakota State falls to 16-22 (12-13 Summit League). The Mastodons improve to 6-40 (1-24 Summit League).
The two teams will play the middle game of the series on Saturday at 8 p.m. ET as the 'Dons look to clinch a series win over the Bison.
- 'Dons snap 19-game losing skid with win at North Dakota State
- Dons Snap Seven Game Skid With Win Over Omaha
- 'Dons snap three-game skid with homecoming win over Denver
- Dons trampled by North Dakota State
- North Dakota State routs 'Dons on diamond
- Ants Snap Skid with Win Over Lakeland
- 'Dons baseball beats WIU, snaps losing streak
- North Dakota holds off 'Dons softball for series win
- Mad Ants top Drive to snap skid
- Warriors Tame Bulldogs to Snap Skid