FORT WAYNE, Ind. (PFW Athletics) - The Purdue Fort Wayne softball team dropped a doubleheader to Bowling Green Wednesday afternoon (March 27), 5-1 and 6-3. The Mastodons out-hit the Falcons in 8-3 in game two.
In game one, Bowling Green scored three runs in the top of the first before adding another run in the fourth and sixth innings. The Mastodons got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the sixth. With one out, Camryn Mosher singled up the middle. Then with two outs, Lacey Wilzbacher doubled to left to put runners on second and third. A wild pitch by the BGSU pitcher allowed pinch runner Sydney Windlan to score.
Alyssa Malicki suffered the loss, allowing one earned run in 4 1-3 innings, as she struck out three. Shaina Eyre came on for the final 2 2-3 innings, allowing two hits and striking out three.
The second game of the day saw the Falcons jump out in front with a run in the first and third innings, before scoring twice in the fifth. The Mastodons pulled within one in the bottom of the fifth when Morganne Denny delivered on a three-run home run to right-center, her third homer of the season. BGSU answered with two runs in the top of the sixth. The ‘Dons brought the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the sixth after hits by Windlan and Mosher, before the final out was recorded and the game was called due to darkness.
Eyre took the loss in five innings of work, allowing one earned run on two hits with two strikeouts. Lauren McConnell came on for the final inning and allowed one hit and a strikeout.
Purdue Fort Wayne travels to South Dakota for its first Summit League road trip March 30 and 31.
- Dons Softball Drops Doubleheader Against Bowling Green
- 'Dons drop doubleheader against Omaha
- TinCaps split Sunday doubleheader in Bowling Green
- Bowling Green hands Dons eighth straight loss
- 'Dons softball suffers doubleheader sweep against South Dakota State
- 'Dons softball wraps up regular season with doubleheader split
- USF Drops Doubleheader to Madonna
- 'Dons split senior day doubleheader with NDSU
- Saint Francis softball sweeps Huntington in doubleheader
- Saint Francis drops doubleheader to Spring Arbor