FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Purdue Fort Wayne women’s basketball team kicked off Homecoming week with a bang, as the Mastodons defeated Omaha 56-48 Thursday night (Jan. 24) inside the Gates Sports Center.
De’Jour Young scored a career-high 25 points on 10-of-15 shooting, while also grabbing six rebounds. Sh’Toya Sanders did a little bit of everything for the ‘Dons, tying a season-high with 11 rebounds, while adding five points, three blocks, and three steals. Jaelencia Williams came off the bench to add nine points and five rebounds.
Purdue Fort Wayne opened the game on a 7-0 run. The Mavericks took their lone lead of the game at 12-11 to start the second quarter. The Mastodons responded with 12-1 advantage to close out the half, as they never relinquished the lead again. Omaha cut the Mastodon lead down to six, 32-26, before the 'Dons answered by going on a 12-5 run to push their lead back to double digits. Purdue Fort Wayne would need to stomp out one more UNO rally, as the Mavs cut it to six points with 3:25 to go. The Mastodons finished the game a perfect 7-of-7 at the free throw line to secure the victory.
Overall, the ‘Dons finished the game shooting 20-of-51 (39.2%) from the floor, 3-of-12 (25%) beyond the arc, and 13-of-18 (72.2%) at the free throw line.
The Mastodons are now 5-14 on the season and 1-6 in Summit League action.
Purdue Fort Wayne closes out Homecoming week when it hosts Denver on Saturday, January 26 at 3 p.m.
- Dons Snap Seven Game Skid With Win Over Omaha
- 'Dons snap three-game skid with homecoming win over Denver
- Ants Snap Skid with Win Over Lakeland
- Mad Ants Snap Three-Game Skid with Win over Swarm
- Komets Snap Five Game Skid with Win Over Wichita
- 'Dons drop doubleheader against Omaha
- Omaha Blanks 'Dons Friday Afternoon
- 'Dons snap 19-game losing skid with win at North Dakota State
- Mad Ants look to snap two game skid
- Tech Tops Siena Heights to Snap Two Game Skid