FORT WAYNE, Ind. (TinCaps) – The TinCaps fell in the finale of a four-game series with the South Bend Cubs (Chicago Cubs), 8-1, in front of 7,236 fans at Parkview Field on a 90-degree night. The teams split their four games.
First baseman Lee Solomon opened the scoring in the bottom of the second inning, smacking a no-doubt home run to left-center field to make it a 1-0 game. The ball traveled 411 feet onto the top of the Ivy Tech Lawn Seats, leaving the bat at an exit velocity of 104 miles per hour. It was Solomon’s second home run this season and his first at Parkview Field.
From there, South Bend’s (4-4, 40-36) bats took over, scoring five runs in the third, four in the fourth, and two in the fifth to put the game out of reach. Brennen Davis (two hits), Chris Morel (three hits), and Jonathan Sierra (two hits) each had multi-hit games. Davis, Sierra, and Cole Roederer each knocked in two runs.
Fort Wayne’s (3-5, 36-40) bullpen had a strong performance, as Austin Smith and Carlos Belen went a combined 4.2 innings of one-run ball with four hits allowed.
This was “The Office” Night at Parkview Field, as the ‘Caps wore Dwight Schrute-style jerseys.
Saturday, June 29 vs. Great Lakes (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Loons Probable Starter: RHP Jose Martinez
- Cubs Play Toby to TinCaps’ Michael Scott on The Office Night
- TinCaps complete sweep of Cubs
- Lopez homers again as TinCaps top Cubs
- TinCaps Walk Off for Sweep of Cubs
- Contreras leads the charge as TinCaps blank Cubs
- Edwards Smacks First Career Homer, TinCaps Top Cubs
- Harris plays hero again as TinCaps walk-off against Kernels
- Loons power past TinCaps
- Whitecaps top TinCaps 4-1
- TinCaps Win Third Straight