Fort Wayne, Ind. (WFFT) - Juan Fernandez tied a season-high with 3 RBIs, but Fort Wayne fell just short to the Lake County Captains (Cleveland Indians affiliate), 5-4, in front of 7,228 fans at Parkview Field. Friday night marked the eighth sellout crowd of the season.
The Captains (10-5, 50-34) scored two runs in the top of the second to grab an early 2-0, but the TinCaps (4-11, 37-46) bounced right back with two runs in the bottom of the second to knot the game up. Fernandez (double) and Lee Solomon (single) contributed the RBI knocks in the inning. Solomon had four combined RBIs in the two Star Wars nights at Parkview Field this season.
After allowing two runs in the second inning, Omar Cruz settled into a solid start for Fort Wayne. The 20-year-old from Mexico went five innings, allowing the two runs on just four hits with eight strikeouts. Cruz allowed one hit and three total baserunners in his final three innings of work.
The ‘Caps took the lead in the sixth, when Fernandez smacked a one-out, two-run single up the middle, scoring Dwanya Williams-Sutton and Michael Curry. The catcher finished the night 2-for-4 and is batting .340 (33-for-97) since April 16th.
The Captains roared back with three runs in the eighth to claim the win. Lake County smacked four hits (three extra-base hits) in the frame, including a Makesiondon Kelkboom home run and an RBI triple by Josh Rolette. Rolette chipped in an RBI single earlier on in the inning.
Saturday, July 6 @ Great Lakes (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Loons Probable Starter: LHP John Rooney
- Captains Rally Late for Win Over TinCaps
- Dayton tops TinCaps with late rally
- Captains Trounce TinCaps in Series Finale
- TinCaps Rally Late, But Fall in Series Finale
- Bees rally to sting TinCaps
- TinCaps Win Third Straight
- Washington Homers, TinCaps Win
- Captains Top TinCaps in Front of Record Crowd
- Captains complete four-game sweep of TinCaps with two wins on Sunday
- Gore shines in TinCaps win