FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A 33-year-old woman is safe after she fell into the St. Marys River trying to save her dog.
Police in Allen County and Poe Fire and EMS responded just after 4:30 p.m. Sunday to the 13300 block of S. Anthony Ext.
Officers at the scene said the woman took her two dogs out to her parents' in the country to walk near the river. One of the dogs slipped and the woman tried to save it, but fell into the river.
She was able to reach her cell phone to call her mom, who called 911.
The woman was initially listed in serious condition, but was upgraded and only suffered minor injuries from exposure to the cold.
Her dogs were not hurt.
- Woman falls into St. Marys River trying to save dog
- Body identified in St. Marys River
- Pipeline fails, leaks jet fuel into St. Marys River
- DNR investigating after body found in St. Marys River
- FWPD investigating death of a person found in a car in St. Marys River
- Woman airlifted after crashing in Wabash River
- Search in St. Joseph River called off for the night
- Marie Antoinette's jewels up for auction
- Woman dragged, bitten hundreds of times by pack of dogs
- Meet the man who dyes the Chicago River green for St. Patrick's Day