ST. JOE, Ind. (WFFT) - A woman is dead and two firefighters were hurt after a house fire in St. Joe Thursday.
The fire happened around 5 p.m. in the 200 Block of Widney Street.
The DeKalb County Sheriff's Department said a man tried to rescue his wife who was upstairs but he wasn't able to reach her because there was too much smoke.
The man eventually escaped, but his wife died in the fire.
Two firefighters were hurt, one was taken to a hospital in Indianapolis for treatment. Their conditions weren't known at the time this story was published.
Fire departments from DeKalb and Allen County helped fight the fire.
Indiana State Fire Marshal is investigating the cause of the fire.
- Woman dies, firefighters hurt in St. Joe fire
- Man hurt after stabbing in St. Joe
- Firefighter hurt battling early morning business fire
- Firefighters help woman escape house fire
- Firefighters investigate vehicle fire
- Firefighters investigating business fire
- Firefighters investigate business fire
- Firefighters investigating duplex fire
- Police warn against celebratory gun fire after woman is hurt
- Police investigate armed robbery at St. Joe Blvd. Burger Dairy