COLUMBIA CITY, Ind. (WFFT) — A Whitley County man has died due to the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus, health officials announced Monday.
The Whitley County Health Department says the patient was a man in his 50s.
SIGN UP FOR BREAKING NEWS ALERTS
The IN Whitley County website reports Whitley County Consolidated Schools Superintendent Patricia O'Connor sent a letter to parents on Saturday identifying the man as a bus driver who died on Friday, April 3.
The district declined to confirm that information to FOX 55 News.
The Department says they are unaware of any previous health concerns the man might've had.
The county also has a total of eight confirmed cases.
The Whitley County Health Department is stressing the importance of six best practices to stay healthy:
1. Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
2. Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze
3. Avoid close contact 3 -6 feet with people who are unwell
4. Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell
5. Don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth if your hands are not clean
6. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surface
The victim's family has started a GoFundMe for those who would like to donate.