FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Washington Center Road near Hugeunard Road will reopen Thursday morning.
For drivers like Matthew Moss, having the area closed has caused some headaches.
”I use GPS to get to my customers’ locations and a lot of times it takes me this way," Moss said.
Moss works with metal, so having easy access to some of the businesses on the west side of Washington Center Road makes all the difference.
”The last time I was in town, I remembered. This time I just followed GPS right to the same spot," he said.
Frank Suarez with the City of Fort Wayne said in the last 10 years traffic on Washington Center Road has increased by 20 percent, and for nearly 14,000 people, it's a part of their daily commute.
”There are a number of businesses in that area, it’s a connecting route on the north part of the city from one part to the other. It also connects a number of neighborhoods," he said.
That's why even after months of being closed, some people still found themselves turning around in a construction zone.
While the road being reopened Thursday morning may make your commute easier, there will be changes drivers should be aware of, including a traffic light at Cross Creek and Washington Center.
Suarez said the decision to put the light in came after a study done by the Northeast Indiana Regional Coordinating Council found there were 40 accidents reported at the intersection between 2010 and 2015.
”Many of the things we do in our daily lives are by habit, so certainly people have a habit that there’s no signal there, so they should just be aware," Suarez said.
Drivers can also expect more lanes, a trail connection, and sidewalks on the bridge.
- Washington Center Road to reopen with some changes
- Washington Center Road shut down after crash
- Drivers prepare for Washington Center Road closure
- Hillegas Road bridge reopens
- Bass Road reopens for Winter
- Washington Center Road to close for bridge replacement
- Dupont Road expected to reopen this weekend
- Bass Road to reopen in January
- Lake Avenue, Maplecrest Road reopened after truck overturns
- Road to new corrections center on schedule