FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A portion of Washington Center Road will be closed for several months begining next week.
Monday, crews will close Washington Center Road between Cross Creek Boulevard and Country Forest Drive.
Crews will be replacing the bridge over Spy Run Creek.
The new bridge will add an extra lane in each direction since traffic in that area has increased by more than 20 percent since 2009.
Two years ago, he Allen County Highway Department lowered the weight limit when it determined the bridge was failing.
The closure is expected to last through October.
An official detour directs traffic to Cook Road, via Lima Road and Hueguenard Road.
While the bridge is replaced, the City is working on a separate project to add a new traffic signal at Cross Creek Boulevard, east of the bridge.
- Washington Center Road to close for bridge replacement
- Failing bridge slated for replacement
- Council approves replacing failing bridge
- Drivers prepare for Washington Center Road closure
- Washington Center Road shut down after crash
- Hillegas Road to close for several months for bridge replacement project
- Hillegas Road bridge reopens
- Washington Center Road to reopen with some changes
- Rotten beams close covered bridge
- Coliseum Blvd to close to place bridge