WARSAW, Ind. (WFFT)- Warsaw Community 4th graders took a trip back in time for the 3rd annual "Back to the Days" event at Harrison Elementary.
Students got to experience, cannons, axe throwing, and President Abraham Lincoln. They're all topics students are learning in Indiana History, but Randy Polston, a former educator, wanted to get the kids out of their classrooms.
"In this day and age, with our technology and so many things that take time away from our children, we don't want them ever to forget what their past was," Polston said.
Cooper Davis, a student in Warsaw, said the axe throwing was his favorite part.
"It's been pretty fun. Everyone looks like they're having fun," Davis said.
While other kids were most excited to climb on a tractor for the first time, and learn how to build a log cabin.
Zech Wright said it makes a difference to see things with his own eyes.
"It helps you learn about history and it makes you smarter in history," Wright said.
Polston said "Back to the Days" is an event he's fought for for that very reason.
"We use to have "Back to the Days" at the fairgrounds, an annual event, which was set up very similar to what we've got here now, and it went away. It dissolved," he said.
Three years ago Polston partnered with another Warsaw Community School employee to relaunch the program.
Polston said he's always had a passion for history. He also helped to restore and move an old school house to Harrison Elementary in the 90s, that way the students can see history in real life any time they want.
"To come out here and bring life to the learning process, that's what this event does," he said.
- Warsaw Community Schools bring History to life for 4th graders
- EF-1 tornado hits Warsaw
- Warsaw man dies after hitting school bus
- Formula for Life 5K brings out community
- Man shot near Creighton and Warsaw
- Stabbing suspect charged with murder, Warsaw residents react
- New Warsaw fire station is ready to be built
- Warsaw woman critically injured in crash with semi
- Indiana State Police investigating Warsaw officer-involved shooting
- Boy struck and killed by car in Warsaw