FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - It's International Women's Day, and Vera Bradley celebrated the only way they know how, by designing one of their bags.
But this bag is different from their regular bags. Vera Bradley partnered with New Hope Girls on a collection inspired by the Dominican Republic and Vera Bradley's Kaleidoscope collection.
"We're really excited about the New Hope collaboration because to us, it does two great things. One: give us a chance to celebrate women on International Women's Day but also really make a difference in people's lives," said Rob Wallstrom, President and CEO of Vera Bradley.
Wallstrom said the bag and travel pouch were designed by women for women, and ultimately benefit women in need in the Dominican Republic.
"Down in the Dominican Republic there really is a lot of poverty, which causes a lot very difficult environment for kids, so what they're doing is they're helping these young girls move into this environment where they're protected, they're safe, they can focus on their education, and really succeed in life," he said.
To add to that, Vera Bradley has vowed to donate $25,000 to New Hope Girls.
The partnership continues to empower women, even after International Women's Day, by employing sewers and offering business mentoring.
"That even started by originally one of the young girls who was being protected by them, her mother was still in a difficult situation and could not feed the rest of the kids, so they made up a job, and had her start sewing and selling bags to keep her employed, and transformed her life," Wallstrom said.
You can find the collection in stores and online. The bag is $55 and the travel pouch is $15.
- Vera Bradley partners with New Hope Girls for International Women's Day
- YWCA receives generous gift from Vera Bradley
- Vera Bradley Outlet Sales begin Wednesday
- Vera Bradley kicks off 35th annual outlet sale
- Remembering victims on International Overdose Awareness Day
- STEM Flights partnering with FWCS
- Man robs Partners First Credit Union
- Parkview Health Partners with Cincinnati Children's Hospital
- Media Day Kicks Off Girls Basketball Season
- Airport travelers surprised at Fort Wayne International