VAN WERT, Ohio (WFFT) - A student was taken into custody after making a threat against Van Wert City Schools.
The district cancelled classes Thursday to keep students safe.
Students will return to school Friday after a threat was made to the district on social media.
The Van Wert City School Superintendent, Staci Kaufman, said the district will always take threats seriously.
"School threats in this day and age are not going to be taken lightly by this school district," she said.
Police said a student sent a message on Snapchat Wednesday night stating " VW, your day will come. This month your school will be disrupted, I will not feel pity for what I'm about to do."
The student is facing two felony charges; inducing panic involving a school and telecommunications harassment.
People who live near the school told WFFT they're shocked something like this happened in the small community.
"We stand behind that decision because we put the safety of staff and student's first," Kaufman said.
Kaufman said staff still showed up to work. They used the time to go over procedures so they are prepared to handle any future situation.
"I'm very proud of our staff today. They understood the severity of the day. Believe me, calling all the staff together is not a routine that we have to do often here at Van Wert City Schools," Kaufman added.
As students walk back into school Friday, Kaufman said there's only one goal.
"Students returning to normal tomorrow. Everybody in our buildings are going to be working toward that cause. Business as usual. Make kids feel safe," she said.
Kaufman says the district will continue to look at each threat individually ... and they may not always close school because of one.
- Van Wert student arrested after making threat to school
- Second student arrested in Van Wert county after school threat
- Van Wert schools offering student safety hotline
- Van Wert seeing tourism boom
- Van Wert celebrates War of 1812 veteran
- Van Wert considering charter city option
- Van Wert Health gets new baby box
- Remembering black history in Van Wert County
- Van Wert County Auditor's Office under investigation
- Power Outage reported in Van Wert County