FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- It's a spectacle that can only be seen at 32 air bases around the country every year-- the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds are coming back to the Summit City for the 2019 air show.
"That's the premiere aerial demonstration team for the United States Air Force, and to have them here on our base is absolutely phenomenal," said Col. Mike Stohler, Commander of the 122nd Fighter Wing.
Officials announced the plans Wednesday morning. Col. Stohler said it's their way of giving back to those who support the base.
"Everything we do at the guard directly is in support of our local community, our state, and our nation. We love the interaction with the local kids, the local community [and] to be able to show them first-hand, up close what we do on a day to day basis to protect them," he said.
Michael Gouloff, president of the air show board, said parking has been their biggest setback in the past, but this year they're plannig ahead.
"The Airport Authority is working with the Air Guard and we'll have plenty of parking at the air field this time, which will be a big deal," Gouloff said.
The other acts are still being worked out, but Gouloff promises the $500,000 show is one you, and thousands of others from surrounding states, won't want to miss.
"We expect 80,000 people to be here for the weekend. It's a huge economic generator for our community, and we'll do it right. We got the Thunderbirds."
The show is July 6-7, 2019 and admission is free.
For more information, click here.
- United States Air Force Thunderbirds coming back to Fort Wayne for 2019 air show
- Thunderbirds arrive in Fort Wayne for weekend air show
- Fort Wayne Air Show brings out thousands
- Thunderbirds to perform in Fort Wayne in July of 2019
- Air Show flies into Fort Wayne this weekend
- People in Fort Wayne fighting with the air conditioning
- Fort Wayne residents participate in Air Quality Action Day
- Fort Wayne's 2019 budget approved
- Fort Wayne Arts United Center restoration plans
- Harlem Globetrotters coming to Fort Wayne for 2019 World Tour