FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Two men are charged in connection to an Easter Morning homicide.
Around 10 a.m. April 1, police found Javon Burnett, 26, was shot and killed outside a building at The Summit at Ridgewood Apartments.
Friday, the Allen County Prosecutor's Office filed murder charges against Joshua Smiley and Tyrion McNair after more than a dozen witnesses came forward.
Those witnesses helped police connect Smiley and McNair through two cell phones, one that belonged to Burnett and another found on the scene.
When police searched Burnett's phone, detectives found he spoke with someone, who was later identified as Smiley, minutes before he was killed.
The phone that was dropped was traced back to McNair, a known gang member who was already under federal investigation.
Court documents show one witness admitted giving McNair a gun and letting Smiley use a car.
The same witness said he sent his girlfriend a text that morning saying "we are on a mission."
The witness said he knew something would happen, but not that Burnett would be killed.
Smiley was also charged in the September 2015 murder of Alonna Allison.
However Allen County Prosecutor Karen Richards dropped charges last year after three witnesses couldn't be found.
Arrest warrants were issued when the charges were filed, if you know where McNair or Smiley are, call police.
- Two charged in Easter morning homicide
- Man charged in Thursday morning homicide
- 1 dead in Easter morning shooting
- SCAN distributes Easter baskets
- Ligonier homicide victims identified
- Rescue Mission serves 2,000 people for Easter
- One dead in second Easter shooting
- Man sentenced in Easter Day murder
- Easter shooter sentenced to 85 years
- Local organization holds community Easter event