FREMONT, Ind (NEWS RELEASE) - The Indiana State Police is investigating a crash which killed a 62 year old man from Orland earlier this evening after the motorcycle he was riding struck a pickup truck at the intersection of State Road 120 and County Road 300 W.
Preliminary investigation by Trooper Carmyn Hottell indicated at approximately 6:54 p.m., a 1997 Dodge pickup truck driven by 30 year old Wesley L. Teller of Bronson, Michigan was traveling northbound on County Road 300 W. Upon reaching the intersection with State Road 120, Teller came to a stop at the posted stop sign and then proceeded into the intersection and into the path of a westbound 1999 Suzuki motorcycle operated by 62 year old Larry A. Wateska of Orland.
Wateska steered his motorcycle to the north but was unable to completely avoid colliding with the front of the truck. After impact, Wateska, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown from the motorcycle and suffered fatal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Steuben County Coroner Bill Harter. Teller was wearing his seatbelt and was not injured.
At this time, drugs and alcohol are not considered a factor in the crash. Toxicology results are pending. Hottell was assisted at the scene by Trooper Aaron Meyer, the Steuben County Sheriff Department, Steuben County EMS, the Steuben County Coroner and the Fremont Fire Department.
- Two vehicle crash claims life of Steuben County man
- Steuben County Sheriff 'Please lock your vehicle'
- One person dead in Steuben County crash
- Buffalo roam Steuben County fields
- Three people die, including two children in Steuben County crash
- Deputies: Driver killed in fiery Steuben County crash
- Two arrested in Steuben County drug search
- Steuben County Police arrest man for breaking into home
- Man injured in Steuben County tree stand fall
- Man wanted after attempting to run over Steuben County deputy