MARION, Ind. (WFFT) – The two people killed in a collision of two aircraft at the Marion Municipal Airport have been indentified.
Grant County Coroner Chris Butche says the victims are pilot, 31-year-old Kyle Hibst, and passenger, 31-year-old David Wittkamper, both of Elwood. They were members of the Pipe Creek Township Volunteer Fire Department.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the collision.
The Pipe Creek Township Volunteer Fire Department posted the following statement on their Facebook page last night.
"It is with great sadness and sorrow we announce the passing of two of our own. Fire Fighters Kyle Hibst and David Wittkamper were taken from us due to a aviation accident yesterday afternoon. Words cannot express the pain and loss each of us feel. Our hearts go out to both families involved. Rest Easy Brothers we will take it from here."
The crash happened just after 5 p.m.
Police said a single-engine plane was taking off and crashed into a small jet that had just landed.
The two people on the single plane died in the crash.
The five people on the jet were not hurt.
- One dead in plane crash near Marion Municipal Airport
- Two People Dead After a Crash at the Airport in Marion
- One dead after crash near airport
- One dead, one hurt in crash with police car in Marion
- Brother of NBA player killed in Marion
- One dies after being shot in Marion
- Two people confirmed dead after fiery semi crash on I-469
- Waterloo man dead after crash
- Bryan woman dead in crash
- Two people found dead in vacant apartment