FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) -- Two Fort Wayne Community School teachers are being called heroes for helping elementary school students while they were choking.
Christine Levy’s fourth-grade class was eating snacks at Croninger Elementary School on Monday when she saw a student struggling.
Levy says, “His face just was red. He looked at me and was terrified. I immediately knew something was wrong so I went up to him and asked if he was okay but he put his hands on his neck as if he was choking.”
Levy says she didn’t think twice about what to do, she says “I immediately started the Heimlich.”
This isn’t the first time this has happened at Croninger.
Two weeks ago, kindergarten teacher Jennifer Johnson says she noticed one of her students choking on a bottle cap.
Johnson says, “I’m just thankful that we had all that training and that The Lord was with me at that moment and there to guide me and I just knew what to do.”
Croninger principal Carolyn Kennedy says she couldn’t be more proud of her staff going above and beyond for their students.
Kennedy says, “You can tell their love for their kids is so serious because they didn’t think twice about jumping in and doing what needed to be done.”
Johnson said she used this incident as a teachable moment for all the students.
Johnson says, “We just talked about what was happening and what caused that and it is a serious thing. When grown-ups have certain rules, it’s not to be mean, it’s to protect them and keep them safe.”
Johnson says a teacher’s job goes way beyond just academics. She says, “We are watching over them and our job is to protect them and keep them safe.”