Photo Gallery 1 Images
Fort Wayne Police have identified the victims injured in the accidental shooting. Injured were 24 year-old Joynieccia A. Bailey, age 24, and Jadonte Bailey, age 4. Joynieccia Bailey has been upgraded to stable condition, while Jadonte Bailey remains in critical condition.
Detectives determined children playing in the home found a loaded firearm. While looking at the handgun, it discharged, striking the 4 year-old first. The round then traveled through his body and struck the 24 year-old victim who was asleep on the couch.
Fort Wayne Police want to stress the importance of the proper storage of firearms that will help to prevent such tragedies from occurring.
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Two people are in critical condition after a shooting Sunday morning on the city's southside. One of the victims, a five year old boy.
Police responded to the shooting in the 4500 block of South Park Drive just around 11:15 a.m. on Sunday morning.
"We've got numerous detectives, crime scene units on scene. We're processing the scene. It's very early in the investigation, but preliminary information indicates this is possibly an accidental shooting."
When police arrived on scene they located a woman and a five year old child who appeared to be suffering from a single gun shot wound. Both were taken to the hospital in critical condition.
One person says this kind of violence happens way too often and hearing that a child was involved is even more disheartening.
"It just shook us," said Brandie Williams. "We were getting ready to eat and heard the shot. And then all the ambulances came. It was sad."
Williams was visiting her sister at the time.
"It's just scary because bullets don't have names on them. It could have hit anywhere or anybody."
Detectives are interviewing people who were inside the home where the shooting took place. They hope to get additional info once the interviews are wrapped up.
- Two people hospitalized after Sunday morning shooting
- Police investigating an early Sunday morning shooting
- Shooting hospitalizes two teens
- People line up for Sunday alcohol sales
- Six hospitalized after Thursday morning house fire
- One dead after Sunday evening shooting
- Police investigating early morning shooting
- Coroner identifies two people killed in crash Sunday
- One person dead, and 2 people injured in early morning shooting
- Two people sent to hospital after crash, one critical