FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- There are events for volleyball, basketball,hockey and softball.
This is day one for the crowd at the coliseum, but the total number of people expected for this weekend in Fort Wayne is 16,000.
One of the reasons for the packed parking lot, is the Martin Luther King Volleyball Challenge which is going into it's sixth year.
This year the event has a total of 192 teams of players ages 11 to 18.
While many may look at this weekend as an extended vacation, it stands as a kick off time for tournaments.
"Most kids are off from school Monday, so they can come in on a Saturday or Sunday and get home. They can travel a little bit further because they're not worrying about that deadline, that early bedtime, because they've got school in the morning the next day, which we do want to take into consideration," Brian Murray said.
Murray is the owner and club director of Team Indiana Volleyball.
That extra time comes in handy for those who are a few hours out.
This isn't an event focused only on teams in Indiana.
David Gadis has been coming to the event every year with his daughter and now with his granddaughter.
"Fort Wayne is a great place to come to. Teams from all over the state and even Michigan and all over can come in close proximity, so the turn out has always been great," Gadis said.
SportONE Parkview Fieldhouse will host the popular Gym Rats MLK Basketball Classic (4,900 attendees) and SportONE Parkview Icehouse will host the 2018 Crossover Hockey Games, bringing in 250 in attendance.
January 12-14, The Plex South welcomes the National Softball Association's 2018 Snowflake Frenzy, which will bring an estimated 400 in attendance.
- Thousands are expected to visit the Coliseum this MLK weekend
- Drivers take on Memorial Coliseum traffic for the weekend
- Coliseum Blvd to close to place bridge
- Parking prices raised at Memorial Coliseum
- Police investigating shooting on North Coliseum Blvd.
- Bridal Spectacular returns to the Coliseum
- New security measure at the Memorial Coliseum
- Traffic Advisory issued for Coliseum area
- Section of Coliseum Blvd. closing overnight tonight
- Dupont Road expected to reopen this weekend