FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — The parents of a 15-year-old Three Rivers Festival volunteer who says he was pushed to the ground by Sheriff David Gladieux have filed a tort claim notice against the sheriff.
The suit, filed by Brad and Erin Bullerman, seeks $300,000 in damages from Gladieux in connection to an incident at the Three Rivers Festival on July 16.
Gladieux, who was charged in September with misdemeanor battery resulting in injury, has denied guilt but offered an apology as part of a deal that would result in the dismissal of the charge later this year.
The suit says the victim, a volunteer, was closing the Sponsor Hospitality Tent about 10:45 p.m. when he saw two men walking toward the closed restrooms.
The victim told one of the men, later identified as Gladieux, that the restroom was closed and needed to see his badge that allowed him into certain sections of the festival.
The suit alleges Gladieux responded, "I am the f***ing sheriff, move out of my way."
The teen didn't believe he was the sheriff because the suit alleges, he smelled of alcohol.
When he insisted on seeing his badge the suit alleges Gladieux briefly held up his badge and then pushed the teen "very hard to the ground."
The teen called over police who reached out to his mom, who was also working at the festival.
The suit says the teen was red-faced, holding back tears and holding his right arm on his lower back.
The suit says Erin Bullerman heard her son identify Gladieux as the man who pushed her son.
The suit says she also heard Gladieux tell a Fort Wayne Police sergeant that the teen, "was just a f***ing kid, there is not a goddamn thing he can do about it."
It alleges that the man with the sheriff balled up his fist ready to hit the police sergeant when the sergeant grabbed his arm and told him, "You don't want to do that."
The suit says the victim suffered physical pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, humiliation, embarrassment, unlawful and excessive force.
- Teen's parents file lawsuit against Sheriff David Gladieux
- Teen's parents file tort claim against Sheriff David Gladieux
- Allen County Sheriff David Gladieux charged with misdemeanor battery, issues apology
- City files lawsuit against opioid distributors
- Students and parents file lawsuit in college admissions scam asking for application fees back
- David's Bridal is filing for bankruptcy
- Teen idol David Cassidy remains in Florida hospital
- Nick Sandmann files lawsuit against the Washington Post
- Filings: Bill Cosby agrees to settle 7 defamation lawsuits
- David Franke Details Coaching Search