SOUTH WHITLEY, Ind. (WFFT) - Thousands of Indiana teachers are getting ready for a large rally in Indianapolis next week.
More than 11,000 teachers are expected to attend the "Red for Ed" action day at the statehouse Tuesday.
Wednesday, teachers at Whitko Jr./Sr. High School stayed after school making signs for the rally.
"It means we are all fed. It's not just northeast Indiana, it's not Indianapolis or southern Indiana. It's everywhere in Indiana. We are just done," said Antimony Fox, Whitko English teacher.
Public school teachers and administrators have grown frustrated with rules and funding coming from the state in recent years.
Now Fox said teachers are at their breaking point.
"Frustrated that legislatures aren't listening to us. They are doing these unfunded mandates with extra training," she said.
That's why more than 11,000 teachers plan to be at "Red for Ed" in Indy Tuesday.
About a third of Whitko's teachers are going, forcing the district to be one of the 107 schools in the state to close.
"We were 10 to 15 shorts and we didn't feel that was a good environment to have an instructional day," said Dr. Brandon Penrod, Whitko Community Schools superintendent.
And it's not just teachers who are frustrated.
Students are getting involved, some are even planning on attending the rally since classes are cancelled.
Fox said a message will be sent loud and clear.
"I don't think there is any way they can ignore it, but I think we have to follow up with action," she said.
It's not clear if any immediate changes will come from the rally.
Governor Eric Holcomb said he's waiting for a teacher pay commission he appointed to make recommendations by the end of next year.
- Teachers preparing for "Red for Ed" rally
- Indiana governor won’t see Red For Ed teacher rally
- Thousands of Indiana teachers attend Red for Ed Rally
- Indiana teachers preparing for historic Red for Ed rally at Statehouse
- Indiana teachers use "teacher voice" to draw attention to education issues at Red for Ed rally
- Red For Ed Indiana teacher rally not prompting immediate GOP action
- Parents support Indiana schools closing so teachers can attend Red for Ed rally next week
- More Northeast Indiana schools close for Red for Ed day
- FWCS to cancel classes on Red for Ed day Tuesday
- Weather Blog: Red for Ed action day forecast