FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- An arrest was made in the fatal shooting at the Meijer gas station Thursday night.
Just before noon, police found and arrested 21-year-old Victor Rivera. Rivera shot and killed Jacob Walerko Thursday night in an attempted robbery.
Police found Rivera walking in a mobile home park near Washington Center Road. Officer Michael Joyner told WFFT the public was instrumental in helping them catch the suspect so fast.
"This is Thanksgiving. We had a senseless taking of a life, and I think it hit a chord with everyone in Fort Wayne," Joyner said.
Police also located the clothing Rivera was wearing at the time of the shooting.
Meijer released a statement about Walerko's death saying, "We are shocked and saddened by the events that occured last night. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our team member, and we are working closely with local law enforcement on the investigation."
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting, victim identified
- Coroner identifies shooting victim
- Shooting victim identified
- Kroger shooting victim identified
- Victim identified, arrest made in Kendallville shooting
- Stabbing victim and suspect identified
- Northcrest Drive shooting victim identified
- Bowser Avenue shooting victims identified
- Police identify victim and suspect from Lake Avenue shooting
- Kroger shooting suspect arrested