FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Development on Schwartz Road was back on the County Commissioners' agenda Friday morning, but this time a proposal for a subdivision to be built in the rural area passed.
Residents fought hard in the meeting, but they will have to make room for the 89-lot development. They maintain it won't fit in with their community.
"We feel like our elective representatives definitely let us down. We're losing a little bit of faith in the democratic process at this point," said Taryn Willis.
At a meeting in May, proposed duplexes were voted down, and the subdivision failed for lack of second, but today was the last legislative day to make a decision on the houses. Commissioner Nelson Peters moved to approve, and Commissioner Therese Brown agreed.
"We understand that there are people out there looking for houses. The Fort Wayne housing market is extremely hot right now. What we are looking for is something cohesive with the existing community," Willis said.
Residents originally fought the proposals because they wouldn't fit into their neighborhood, and added traffic would be dangerous.
"They let down the Amish community because they travel with their buggies, and it's really the safety for them and for our children," said Christine Renbarger.
Now, Willis said they'll pursue legal counsel because the proposal doesn't match a school bus ordinance.
"We expected that the commissioners were going to vote "no" on this plan, just for the simple fact that it did not meet the written Allen County zoning ordinances," Willis said.
The developer has consistently declined an interview, but he told FOX 55 off camera construction is set to start next summer.
- Subdivision approved for Schwartz Road
- New subdivision proposed for Schwartz Road, residents opposing
- Amended subdivision proposal for Schwartz Road discussed in planning commission
- County commissioners approve development along Schwartz Road
- Schwartz Road proposals fail in commissioners meeting
- Residents fight to save Schwartz Road neighborhood from development
- Schwartz Road residents face flooding issues following development debate
- Proposed Schwartz Road development passes in planning commission
- Planning Commissioners pass proposed subdivision on Cedar Creek golf course
- Fire at NW Indiana subdivision destroys 5 homes, no injuries