FREMONT, Ind. (WFFT) - A Fremont High School student was arrested Wednesday after being accused of falsely reporting a threat against the School.
The boy who reported the threat as part of a group of students who walked out of class this morning as part of nationwide protest against gun violence in schools.
The Fremont Police Department and Fremont Community Schools said they take every threat of violence seriously.
"There will be consequences to any threat made inside the school," said Jordan Trippe, an officers on the Fremont Police Department.
Just after 10 a.m., the student told Trippe another student made a threat against the school.
"I was scared, nervous, very concerned about my granddaughter," said Theresa Dutoit.
Dutoit's granddaughter goes to Fremont Elementary, which is connected to the high school.
She said she's surprised something like is has happening so close to home.
"It's something you think is going to happen in Indianapolis, Florida, somewhere else. It's not going happen in your own back door kind of thing." said Dutoit.
Police said the threat wasn't credible and the student who made the report was arrested for false reporting.
Trippe said he hopes this will send a message to everyone in the community.
"Any threat is going to be investigated, whether someone is being threatening and we're going to handle it that way to ensure the safety of our students or somebody is making a false report to hurt somebody," Trippe said.
Dutoit said she thinks it would stop if kids just be nice to each other.
"If people go and just do a simple 'hi, can I help you?' to other kids who aren't so popular, maybe you can stop it," she said.
She added she will likely change her routine because of today's incident.
"I will most definitely more involved in probably picking her up from school."
The superintendent at Fremont Community Schools said it's not clear if the student will face disciplinary actions at school.
- Student arrested for reporting false threat against Fremont High School
- Former Fremont High School coach arrested for child seduction
- Telehealth services in place in Fremont Community Schools
- Fremont police searching for missing teen
- Bomb threats reported nationwide
- Van Wert student arrested after making threat to school
- Second student arrested in Van Wert county after school threat
- Fremont man hospitalized after falling 20 feet from tree stand
- Jussie Smollett arrested and faces a felony charge for allegedly filing false police report
- Woodlan student arrested for making on-line threats