STEUBEN COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) — The Steuben County Sheriff's Office is encouraging the public to lock their vehicles.
Since June 1 law enforcement in Steuben County says they have investigated 35 reports of stolen vehicles.
All of the vehicles were left unlocked with the keys inside.
Investigators says some of the vehicles have been left unsecured in business parking lots while the vehicle owner conducts business inside the station or store.
The sheriff says surrounding counties; DeKalb, Noble, LaGrange and in Michigan counties Branch and Hillsdale are also investigating numerous vehicle thefts with similar circumstances.
The majority of the vehicles are being recovered within the above counties, usually within a few days of the theft.
They said several suspects have already been arrested for the theft of some of these vehicles.
Additional criminal charges may be filed against the same suspects as they continue to be released on bond for current charges.
The Sheriff's Office is developing additional suspects while the investigation continues.
"Please lock your vehicle and do not leave the keys in them," Steuben County Sheriff Rodney Robinson said in a statement. "Even if you think you might only be away from it for a few moments."
- Steuben County Sheriff 'Please lock your vehicle'
- Buffalo roam Steuben County fields
- Two vehicle crash claims life of Steuben County man
- Two arrested in Steuben County drug search
- One person dead in Steuben County crash
- Steuben County sex offender located on Crooked Lake
- Steuben County police looking for fugitive registered sex offender
- Police standoff lasts for seven hours in Steuben County
- Most of escaped bison return to Steuben County farm
- Steuben County Police arrest man for breaking into home