Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - It's called the Parkview Health Community Greenhouse and Learning Kitchen.
It's located at 1716 Beacon Street.
"We recognize at Parkview that health is so much more than what happens in the hospital and in the clinic walls and so we wanted to make a place here for the 46805 zip code where people could access fruits and vegetables," Dr. Sarah GiaQuinta said.
The produce at the store can sometimes be pricey so this is a space where you can learn to grow your own fresh goods, to prepare and eat.
This is one of five area zip codes considered a food desert, where residents lack access to affordable fruits and vegetables for a healthy diet.
They are doing some non-hydroponic and hydroponic methods for developing the produce.
The greenhouse will serve other purposes as well like conducting research and featuring a children's garden where children can learn skills too.
The Community Greenhouse will offer tours May 9th.
The Learning Kitchen classes will begin May 7th.
All classes and tours are free, but advance registration is required.
You can check it out at parkview.com/growgreen
- Stay healthy with the new Community Greenhouse and Learning Kitchen
- Nestlé plans to reduce greenhouse gases across its supply chain
- Community Learning Center in Kendallville getting ready to open
- Apartment fire causes heavy damage to kitchen
- Students learn bike safety
- Parents, community hope Howe Military can stay open
- Concordia Lutheran students make bowls to benefit soup kitchen
- Nick's Kitchen to be featured in first Flavored Nation
- East Noble to transfer former middle school to Kendallville for community learning center
- Healthy tips to get the most out of Mardi Gras