FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Fort Wayne streets appear to be safer in 2019 compared to previous years.
The Fort Wayne Police Department released crime statistics for January 1 - June 30.
The data shows homicides are down with only 11 reported in the city in the first six months of 2019 compared to 24 in 2018, a 47.83% decrease.
“Our officers are committed to providing the best public safety services possible. I’m proud of their efforts. We believe our proactive and innovative approaches to law enforcement and open communication with the public are making a positive difference,” said Chief Reed.
Fort Wayne deputy chief James Feasel credited the change to targeting high crime areas of the city and increased community support.
If you have information about any crime, call Crime Stoppers at (260) 436-7867.
- Statistics show Fort Wayne homicides down significantly in 2019
- Fort Wayne's 2019 budget approved
- GM unveils Fort Wayne Built 2019 Silverado
- Senior Games 2019 begins in Fort Wayne
- Boat Show returns to Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne Air Show brings out thousands
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Suspect in November homicide surrenders to Fort Wayne Police
- See something? Say something- Unsolved homicides taking over Fort Wayne