FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - In a statement released by the National Weather Service Tuesday morning, "The NWS Indiana offices in conjunction with IDHS have decided to cancel the planned test tornado drill on Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
This is due to numerous reasons related to the COVID-19 virus and sheltering actions being taken by the public.
We do not want to add an extra layer of anxiety to the ongoing situation.
While we feel it is important to test our communications and safety action plans, we feel it more prudent right now to focus on the active societal response to the virus.
We apologize for this inconvenience but hope you understand."
There are no plans for a makeup date at this time.
- NWS Indiana Offices and IDHS Cancels Statewide Tornado Drill
- NWS confirms at least 7 tornadoes hit middle Tennessee
- Indiana House approves statewide school safety audit
- Statewide Silver Alert Canceled for Caitlyn Marie Baker
- Fire at NW Indiana subdivision destroys 5 homes, no injuries
- Detroit man pleads guilty in NW Indiana jewelry store heist
- NACS Transportation holds emergency drills
- Indiana gets $521K grant for statewide smoke detector push
- 'Iris Man' gaining statewide fame
- Coldwater Road receives statewide award