SEVERE WX : Flood Warning View Alerts
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Space heater causes house fire in first few hours of arctic temperatures

Crews responded around 1:00 a.m. to 4438 Winter Street and found smoke coming from the home.

Posted: Jan. 30, 2019 9:36 AM

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- A fire damaged a Fort Wayne home as the cold air moved into the area early Wednesday. 

Crews responded around 1:00 a.m. to 4438 Winter Street and found smoke coming from the home. 

Nobody was hurt, but a person who uses a wheelchair was rescued from the house. 

Investigators said there were multiple space heaters plugged in, which likely overloaded the electrical system and caused the blaze. 

Article Comments

Fort Wayne
Broken Clouds
54° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 54°
Angola
Overcast
54° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 54°
Huntington
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 52°
Decatur
Scattered Clouds
54° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 54°
Van Wert
Scattered Clouds
54° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 54°
Morning Storms Wednesday
WFFT Radar
WFFT Temperatures
WFFT National

Community Events