BERNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Students at South Adams learned an important lesson in helping those less fortunate by packing meals for people in impoverished countries, like Haiti.
"One of the people in the auditorium when we were giving a video [presentation], said, 'How many of you are hungry?' and all of the little kids raised their hands and he said, 'How many of you would like to be hungry for multiple days?'" said Kaitlin Stiltner, a senior.
Students do the project every two years at South Adams. They spend some time for a day packing up rice and a combination of essential vitamins and minerals to be sent to the country most in need.
Michael Baer, the science teacher, helped kick start the project with Feed My Starving Children. He was already a part of a program that sends clean water to Haiti, so when another teacher told him about FMSC, he was all in.
"This is absolutely the best part of teaching, is when you see students engaged. And they realize that what they're learning doesn't just benefit them, but benefits the rest of the world," Baer said.
During the first of three packing sessions Friday, the students packed 38,000 meals. That's enough to feed more than 100 kids for a year.
Of course, the kids are tired by the end, but they learn to be thankful, and say it's a lot of fun.
"I've always tried to be thankful for what I had, and I've just learned because I watch the news a lot, so I just see what people have to go through. It makes me feel good that I have the chance to help others like this," said Malina Mawhorr, a sixth grader.
- South Adams students pack meals for impoverished
- Parkview employees pack meals to give back
- The Locker Room Game of the Week Preview: Adams Central vs. South Adams
- The Locker Room Week 9: South Adams vs. Southern Wells
- South Adams Middle School working to improve society
- "Meals for Healing" Update
- Adams County standoff ends peacefully
- FWCS to expand no-cost meals to all students
- Adams Memorial Hospital falls victim to ransomware
- Rescue Mission prepping for Thanksgiving meal, holidays