FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- A six year old Fort Wayne girl wants to do something special this holiday season for veterans.
"I want to help them because they helped us," said Kaytlin Barry.
It all started when Audrey Barry took her family to the VA hospital for Veterans Day.
"There were so many. I just couldn't believe how many veterans were in there needing assistance," said Audrey Barry, Kaytlin's mom.
Kaytlin was moved by what she saw, and decided she wanted to help.
"Any time Kate would see a veteran in Walmart or wherever she's at, she would go up to them and say 'Thank you for your service,'" Audrey Barry said.
Audrey and her husband set up a Go Fund Me page for Kaytlin to collect money for the veterans, but it hasn't taken off like they hoped.
"We just want to get the word out that Christmas is coming up and it's for giving, not receiving. She is such a huge-hearted child. I mean, anything, she's always helping somebody," Audrey Barry said.
Now, Kaytlin wants to collect new and gently used items to give to the veterans just in time for Christmas.
"Other people get presents and they should get stuff, too, to help them," Kaytlin said.
They're asking for things such as razors, socks, and winter clothes. When I asked Kaytlin how many veterans she wants to help, she had a pretty big number in mind.
"Thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands," she said.
Audrey Barry asked that anyone who wants to make a donation contact her by phone at 260-357-8973, or by email at email@example.com to set up a meeting time. You can also still donate to their Go Fund Me page here.
- Six year old girl helping veterans for Christmas
- Boys and Girls Club celebrate Christmas Saturday
- Volunteers stuff backpacks to help homeless veterans
- Culver's pitching in to help veterans on Honor Flight
- Veterans National Memorial Shrine and Museum receiving generous help
- FW22 helping spread awareness of suicide, PTSD in veteran community
- VOTE: Help us choose your ultimate favorite Christmas songs
- Veterans receive makeovers
- Skatin' for Christmas donations
- Christmas tree recycling begins