Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Click it or Ticket National Seat Belt Enforcement is right around the corner starting May 21st through June 3rd.
That means you better make sure you're wearing your seat belt.
"I feel like a lot of younger people are just fast in their lives and stuff, so they just forget about it. They're just in a hurry to get where they are going. then they just forget," Stewart Caldwell said.
Research from Erie Insurance says only 77% of ages 14 to 17 year olds say they always wear a seat belt.
While the baby boomer generation comes in at 94% of always wearing a seatbelt.
With so much going on in the car, Sgt. Jim Seay says lack of seatbelts is more likely to happen with distraction.
"You get into the car, and you're texting when you get in there. You start it up and then you drive off," he said.
"I feel like our mentality at 16 and our mentality at 30 is way different. When I had children, I wouldn't get on the rides at the fairs, but when I was sixteen I was going to Cedar Point riding on the crazy rides," Safeway Driving School co-owner Josh Bradtmiller said.
Bradtmiller says sometimes it takes young people seeing the consequences for them to take driving more seriously.
"We have a video called "It can't happen to me", and it talks about people with the same mentality and it did happen to them and then we hear their story and how it changed their life forever."
He says that while you could pay for the ticket you could get from not obeying the law, it's probably just better to be safe than sorry and wear the seatbelt.
- Seat belt usage on the decline
- EACS implement seat belts
- Local schools adding seat belts to school buses
- NACS board approves installing seat belts on buses
- FWCS inspects buses, 26 new buses have seat belts
- DeKalb Central sees success with seat belts on buses
- Allen County students adjusting to seat belts on school buses
- Indiana's December jobless rate declines to 3.4%
- Instagram users report massive decline in followers
- Crime on the decline in Fort Wayne