FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A man accused of beating his father to death over the summer admitted he did it.
Scott Ruse pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder in the beating of both his parents Friday afternoon in an Allen County courtroom.
Ruse admitted he went to his parents' house on Homestead Road July 5, 2017 to kill them and steal money for drugs.
Ruse said in court he was high on drugs when he got into a heated argument with them and beat Gene Ruse, his father, several times with a hammer.
Gene died from his injuries.
Sandra Ruse, Scott Ruse's mother, was also beaten on the head several times, but she survived her injuries.
Scott Ruse told a judge Friday he blacked out after beating his parents.
When he came back around, he said he panicked and stole this parents' car and drove off.
Police eventually tracked him down and had OnStar disable the vehicle.
During his hearing, Ruse said he attempted suicide in the 1980s and has been in and out of rehab over the years.
Ruse's trial was scheduled to begin in June. He waived his right to a jury trial by pleading guilty.
Under the plea agreement Ruse to not contact his mother.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 12.
- Scott Ruse admits to killing father, beating mother
- Trial date set for man accused of beating parents, killing father
- Mother's Day Downtown
- Attorney: Indiana school shooting suspect to admit to attack
- Lioness kills the father of her 3 cubs at Indianapolis Zoo
- Local group helping grieving mothers
- Father and son arrested after narcotics investigation
- Mother's Day deal at Cottage Flowers Inc.
- FOX 55 celebrates the Mother's Day Holiday
- Murder suspect turned in by mother