FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Heavy rain left parts of Woodfield Place off Schwartz Road under water this week.
Taryn Willis has talked to FOX 55 before about proposed duplexes and an 89-lot subdivision. The county commissioners recently passed the subdivision. She said the potential drainage issue is one reason why they were fighting.
"We're not coming from left field here. We have very justified, logical reasons why we're opposed to that development," Willis said.
It started last week after showers moved through the area. Willis believes the development of section four of Acacia Creek is part of the problem.
"This previously wasn't occurring, prior to the clear cutting of the land that's being used for the Acacia Four development, so without those trees, without that vegetation to stop that flow of water, we're seeing some massive flooding issues back here," she said.
Thursday the water was ankle deep according to Willis and another neighbor, Janese Latimer-Pierson, who reached out to FOX 55 that night.
The water has gone down, but Saturday afternoon, it was still a couple inches deep in some spots. Residents worry another strong rain will make it worse.
One neighbor, who declined an interview because of their position in the community, had water moving into a crawl space.
"The entire driveway will flood up there, and then it rolls into the basement, into the crawlspace that they have over there," Willis said.
Affected neighbors reached out to the developer in charge of both Acacia Creek and the newest proposed subdivision. The developer did dig a trench, but Willis said they expect well-thought out plans from here.
They also took the matter to the commissioners, but have not heard back.
"The decision they made is having real world effects on us, and they're not positive effects," Willis said.
- Schwartz Road residents face flooding issues following development debate
- Residents fight to save Schwartz Road neighborhood from development
- County commissioners approve development along Schwartz Road
- Proposed Schwartz Road development passes in planning commission
- Board votes in favor of Schwartz Road development, residents continue fight
- Subdivision approved for Schwartz Road
- New subdivision proposed for Schwartz Road, residents opposing
- Schwartz Road proposals fail in commissioners meeting
- Flooding hits Kosciusko residents
- Dupont Road seeing development boom