FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Residents living along Schwartz Road are calling Friday's commissioners meeting a victory, after the development proposals introduced around two months ago failed.
"It was a lot of man hours, a lot of prayer, and we're so happy that the commissioners did their due diligence and really saw and heard the voice of the community," said Janese Latimer-Pierson.
Latimer-Pierson was among the people upset about a proposed duplex and subdivision because of the impact it would have on traffic, how it might affect the Amish community, and how the buildings would fit into their peaceful neighborhood. They even collected 800 signatures on a petition back in March.
"We just wanted something that will actually be conducive and enhance our community," she said.
The proposal for the subdivision failed after lack of a second, and the proposal for the duplexes was voted down.
"That particular area, it was just not appropriate, we believe, for that particular rezoning to occur," said Therese Brown, county commissioner.
The developers who made the proposal declined to talk to us again. But, Taryn Willis said her and her neighbors never imagined they would get to this point.
"This is just the most significant victory that we could've ever imagined. It's honestly a dream come true," Willis said.
Commissioner Brown said this probably won't be the last time developers take interest in plots of land like Schwartz Road, but for now, residents can breathe a sigh of relief.
- Schwartz Road proposals fail in commissioners meeting
- Subdivision approved for Schwartz Road
- New subdivision proposed for Schwartz Road, residents opposing
- Amended subdivision proposal for Schwartz Road discussed in planning commission
- Proposed Schwartz Road development passes in planning commission
- Residents fight to save Schwartz Road neighborhood from development
- Schwartz Road residents face flooding issues following development debate
- Planning Commissioners pass proposed subdivision on Cedar Creek golf course
- Meeting planned for DeKalb County roundabout proposal
- Board votes in favor of Schwartz Road development, residents continue fight