FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- All 35 students on board a school bus are safe after it caught fire Thursday afternoon in Northwest Allen County.
The fire started in the 12000 block of Wandering Way. Lizette Downey with Northwest Allen County Schools told FOX 55 News the students smelled gas around 4:00 p.m. and were told to evacuate. That's when there was a small explosion and the front of the bus caught fire before spreading.
Police arrived within 4 minutes of getting a 911 call from the bus driver.
The superintendent said nothing like this has happened in the last 9 years that he has had his position. All of the buses were inspected last week and passed.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- School bus catches fire, students safe
- How to keep your kids safe on the school bus
- Plating company catches fire Tuesday
- Northwest Allen County Schools investigates bus fire
- 1 student killed when truck collides with Indiana school bus
- Student who fired gun at bus stop arrested
- Fort Wayne school bus shot
- Car catches fire at Shell Gas station
- Family safe after house fire
- Woman catches 88-pound catfish