FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Did you know a home fire is the single most common disaster across the nation? 80 percent of American's don't know that.
When the temperatures outside go down, the risk for a house fire goes up.
"It's been a pretty robust season already," and Executive Northeast Indiana American Red Cross Executive Director Katherine Mac Aulay.
Just in the past week alone there's been at least three devastating fires in the Fox 55 viewing area.
"Cooking is the number one cause of fire, people forget they have something going on the stove and they walk away or something burns in the over and also causes fire and tremendous damage to homes as well," said Mac Aulay.
Although we don't know if those homes had a smoke detector, it is crucial that every home has one..
"We suggest that families have them in common living areas, and every bedroom and that they need them in the basement."
The American Red Cross has a Home Fire Campaign program which gives and installs a working smoke detector in your home for free.
"We'll go out, do the installation, test alarms that are already in the homes, check batteries and again, put in additional alarms." said Mac Aulay.
Other ways you can prevent a fire in your home is to keep potential fuel sources away from space heaters, stoves or fireplaces.
"The best way to prepare is as a family unit talk about a family evacuation plan. How the family would escape from the home? Two exits. What are they going to do if family members are upstairs. How are they going to escape the home," said Mac Aulay.
To have the Red Cross come out and install smoke detectors for free, just call your local office and schedule an appointment.
- Risk for house fire in winter increases, Red Cross reports seeing many already
- American Red Cross in critical need of blood donations
- State report suggests tourism has increasing economic impact
- Exposure to infection in the womb increases risk of autism and depression, study says
- Train hits semi crossing tracks
- Man dead after house fire
- Dogs rescued from house fire
- Fire started at vacant house
- Fire damages southeast side house
- Family safe after house fire