FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — The Rescue Mission announced its plans to fight the spread of the Coronavirus in the community.
On Tuesday, leaders announced the steps they are taking to follow the recommendations of the Allen County Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Rescue Mission announced the following changes amid the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Community Meal Program
- The community meal program will move to a bagged lunch and dinner and be distributed from the East parking lot.
- Community members will not enter at the Superior Street property.
- No breakfast service for the community will occur at their Superior Street location.
- Men's Emergency Shelter
- The Mission's emergency shelter (bed nights) program will be operating at an off-site location.
- Residential adjustments
- After making adjustments The Mission says they are at capacity for bed space.
- Residents will have their temperatures checked twice daily to ensure the overall well-being of each person who remains in a program at their Superior Street location.
- Spaces have been identified for use as a quarantine environment if an emergency develops.
- Charis House
- The Mission says they have initiated a series of health safety protocols including temperature monitoring and moving residents around to secure two rooms that could be used in a quarantine emergency.
- The Charis House team is instituting a “no public transportation” guideline with residents and will limit off-site appointments to only "the most necessary visits."
- Different modes of delivering educational needs are also being deployed as the team strives to strike as many “normal” chords as possible.
- At The Rescue Mission, we understand the need for stability during times like this, especially for the children we serve.
- Treasure House
- The retail side of Treasure House will be closed through Saturday, April 4.
- The Treasure House will continue to accept donations with strict cleaning protocols in place.
- Pickup of donations will continue with "heightened screening."
- The donation side of Treasure House will operate from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Tuesday - Friday.
The Rescue Mission announced the following cancellations:
- All volunteer service is canceled for the next 30 days.
- The community Easter Meal.
- The 2020 Spring Gala.
- They are planning to conduct an online auction.
"The Rescue Mission is dedicated to the safety of our residents and community and will continue to monitor the COVID-19 spread closely. We will update the community on any further actions we plan on taking to combat the spread of COVID-19," COO Sam Hardy Said.