FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Purdue University Fort Wayne announced today that it will join the Horizon League.
The Horizon League Board of Directors approved the university’s application for membership this week.
The Horizon League currently includes 10 universities:
- Cleveland State University
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Northern Kentucky University
- Oakland University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Wright State University
- Youngstown State University.
Officials from the university and the Horizon League made the joint announcement during a news conference held on the Purdue Fort Wayne campus this morning.
“We are excited to welcome Purdue Fort Wayne to the Horizon League family,” Horizon League Commissioner Jon LeCrone said. “The Mastodons align with the Horizon League’s mission, vision, and core values and are located in the middle of our geographic footprint… Purdue Fort Wayne is the right school at the right time.”
The Mastodons are now entering their second full season of play under the Purdue brand, which was adopted in July 2018 as part of the university’s realignment under the Purdue University system.
“A great league of great schools just got even stronger and more competitive,” Purdue University President Mitch Daniels said. “Purdue Fort Wayne will bring new fans, new visibility, and instant rivalries. It’s a good move for all concerned.”
The first potential rivalry in the Horizon League could be with Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.
PFW will have in 15 sports in the Horizon League while the men’s volleyball program will continue to compete in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.
PFW will continue as a member of the Summit League for the current 2019-2020 academic year.
The Mastodons will officially join the Horizon League on July 1, 2020.
- WATCH: Purdue University Fort Wayne to join Horizon League
- Purdue University Fort Wayne hosts 19th Indiana First Lego League Championship
- Purdue Fort Wayne students join National Voter Registration Day
- Fort Wayne Urban League holds awards gala
- Fort Wayne Urban League initiative recognized nationally
- Purdue University Fort Wayne holds spring campus visit
- Science Central hosts Purdue University Fort Wayne day
- Purdue University Fort Wayne hosts spring campus visit
- Purdue University Fort Wayne increases Fall 2019 enrollment
- Purdue University Fort Wayne students celebrate natural hair