Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- The Voter Participation Center said there are over 1,400,000 unregistered voters in the state of Indiana, and a big chunk of them are college students.
"The college block usually doesn't vote as much as the other ones, and I think you'll find a lot of college students kind of turned off to politics because of it's divisiveness and toxicity, but we're trying to draw these people back into the conversation to understand that their vote matters," Kaleb McCague Vice President of the College Republicans of Fort Wayne said.
Purdue Fort Wayne students representing Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians setup in the library where numerous students pass through before and after class in hopes of getting their attention.
"We're trying to inform them how important it is to vote in the midterms because a lot of people just vote in the presidential years, but there's a lot of things that can happen in between presidential elections," Brandon Bluemherst, President of the College Fort Wayne Democrats said.
Their goal for National Voter Registration Day is to reach as many students as possible.
"There is a lot of interest I believe from people wanting to vote and learning about voting, and the voting process," McCague added.
In order to vote you must be 18 years or older and a US citizen.
They've both helped curious students get familiar with the process which includes checking to make sure they are registered and showing them how to.
"Registering to vote is probably easier than they think it is," he said.
If you want to have say in the upcoming November 6th general election, you must register to vote by October 9th.
You can register to vote by going to indianavoters.com or by texting the word Indiana to "2VOTE" which is 28683.
- Purdue Fort Wayne students join National Voter Registration Day
- Purdue Fort Wayne students register to vote for National Voter Registration Day
- Purdue Fort Wayne students move into dorms
- Fort Wayne student wins national award
- WATCH: Purdue University Fort Wayne to join Horizon League
- Voter registration deadline is Monday
- Purdue Fort Wayne housing overflow students at Holiday Inn
- Federal judge blocks Indiana voter registration law
- Science Central hosts Purdue University Fort Wayne day
- Fort Wayne getting ready for National Drug Take Back Day