FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A new ordinance could soon shut down Fort Wayne's only swingers club.
Fort Wayne's city council is considering two separate ordinances putting more restrictions on sexually oriented businesses in the city.
One in particular bans swingers clubs.
A city spokesman said the Champaign Club on Nutman Aveune is the only swingers club in the city.
If city council approves the proposal, the spokesman said the club will have to shut down.
The ordinance said the goal is to help reduce the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
"I mean it is better to have a club where you are safe to go to instead of being right next door to someone," said Cody DeBaillie, who lives nearby.
Others who live in the Indian Village neighborhood tell FOX 55 they want to see the club close because they said the loud music and extra traffic hurts their quality of life.
Not too mention it's near a school and a park.
"It is a nuisance. It does have the potential to cause a lot of havoc in that particular area as well," said city councilman Geoff Paddock.
Paddock represents the area where the Champaign Room is.
He said the goal is to help the city's image.
"We have invested so much as a community to make this attractive for families to move to Fort Wayne," said Paddock.
Another way the city is doing that is requiring licenses for sexually-oriented businesses, like strip clubs.
"You drive by some of these things and you see images you don't really want your children to see if they are in the car with you," said Paddock.
This isn't the first time city council has tried to put more restrictions on strip clubs.
A couple of years ago, Paddack supported having some activities at strip clubs stop at midnight.
"It is a shame the city is using the tax dollars of many people who feel they should have their right to choose to do what they want," Shangri La West owner Dino Zurulo told FOX 55 in a text message.
City council is expected to discuss and vote on the both proposals during its August 6 meeting.
- Proposed ordinance would ban swingers clubs in Fort Wayne
- Proposal banning swinger clubs in Fort Wayne dies
- Allen County commissioners vote to ban swingers clubs
- Museum proposed for Fort Wayne's Smith Field
- Activists sue over Fort Wayne's noise-limits ordinance
- Fort Wayne weed ordinance now enforced for summer season
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- One-of-a-Kind Hotel Proposed for Downtown Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne auto dealer banned for life after tax plea
- Boys and Girls Club of Fort Wayne construction begins Friday