Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The fire department's merit commission met Wednesday to discuss the promotion after the wrap up of interviews for the position.
Captain Lance Dafforn was promoted to battalion chief by a unanimous 4-0 vote as the department merit commission supported Fire Chief Eric Lahey's contested pick.
The merit commission approved the promotion based on what was in the books selecting from the top three qualified candidates.
"Lance I felt like was more in line with what I'm looking for in a battalion chief being tasked with managing and running the Fire Department, I have to make the best decisions that are in the best interest for the citizens of Fort Wayne and the Fort Wayne Fire Department," Fire Chief Eric Lahey said.
Captains Mike Miller and Matt Peckham were not selected but voiced their concerns to the board
This resulted in the board going back and reviewing the testing procedures and promotion policies in the upcoming months to prevent future issues.
"To be stepped over is disappointing, and I'm not going to downplay that," said Lahey. "I understand their frustration, their discipline. However, I'm the one responsible with making the decision. The decision is going to rest on my shoulders, so I have to do what I feel is right."
- Promotion approved for battalion chief
- Merit board: Fire chief can accept resignations without board approval
- Senate approves bill making schools chief an appointed post
- China promotes 3 potential central bank leaders
- Four promotions at Fort Wayne Police Department
- Billboards promote stopping for school buses
- Deputy fire chief suspended
- City council approves art commission
- Voters approve all school referendums
- Subdivision approved for Schwartz Road