FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Winter is in full swing and millions of people will be travelling this holiday season, but you want to make sure you're prepared.
AAA is anticipating record breaking holiday travel with over 115 million people worldwide taking a trip, 100 million of those being drivers.
This means potential delays and maintenance issues.
Make sure you're car is prepared for winter travel and schedule a maintenance inspection before hitting the road.
If you're travelling through the skies, Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority Executive Director Scott Hinderman says expect the airport to be busy as well.
Hinderman said, "The holiday season is always a busy season for everybody, and yeah at the airport things pick up a little bit as people are travelling to visit friends and family, or just taking some time from home."
AAA estimates 7 million Americans will be taking flight during the time between December 21 through the end of 2019, so you want to make sure you prepare before you head to the airport.
"Go to the TSA.gov, they have a website," Hindermand said. "They have on their website things you can pack and you can't pack. So, if you're not a frequent flyer, that could be helpful so as you go through the checkpoint you're not learning things for the first time."
One thing you want to make sure to do is show up early and plan for extra time spent waiting at the airport due to the amount of people who'll be flying.
To limit that time spent waiting, make sure to not wrap your gifts. The TSA agents may have to unwrap your gifts to see what they are.
One of the biggest headaches according to Hinderman? The weather. Make sure to check the status of your flights and try to be patient with those around you this holiday season.
"It's just a matter of everybody show up and hopefully we'll have good weather and we'll get you where you need to go," Hinderman said.
- Prepare for travel, delays this holiday season
- Travel insurance helpful during busy holiday season
- Record number of travelers this holiday season
- Weather Blog: Holiday travel
- Ohioans prepare for near-record Thanksgiving travel
- Burger King is giving delayed travelers free Impossible Whoppers
- Holiday Blooms Fundraiser starts up for holiday season
- Seasonal landscapers prepare for snow removal
- Preparing for severe weather during festival season
- Shopping continues as holiday season wraps up