FORT WAYNE, Ind. (FOX 55) - The Posterity Heights project is still under construction, but the AEP Foundation chose to invest in it's futute today with a donation of $150,000 to Joshua’s Hand, the organization leading the project.
AEP Foundation could have invested in a number of different projects, but according to AEP president Toby Thomas, they chose Posterity Heights because "as part of AEP Foundation we look for two things that we support our foundational things. One of those is education and the other is basic human needs. The reason we want to invest here is because it hits both of those directly and it's going to create a catalyst for this part of town to really grow for the generations to come."
Cedric Walker, founder of Joshua’s Hand says the money will go towards a number of services like education, health care, and life development
"We're changing the economy of sort and we’re changing the space to bring those services to one place so we can all work in tandem with one another to make sure that we fill the gaps, there are no loopholes, that we can lower the prospect of failure and heighten the probability of success," said Walker.
The aim of the Scholar House portion of the project, which is just phase one of a four phase project expected to be finished in 2022, is to bring not just one, but two generations out of poverty, giving the future a head start.
The future is already on the mind of Ashley Sherrod, who is one of the first prospective tenants of Scholar House. She's excited for her little ones to have an opportunity she didn't.
Sherrod said, "that makes me hopeful. That makes me want to do this even more and be a part of this to have something that they can look forward to and have those supports and this program can help support me to support them to reach their goals and dreams."
Janiece Norfleet, Program Director for Joshua's Hand went on to say "it really is an opportunity to change their life. not only your life as a single parent, but a whole family's life."
- Posterity Heights receives generous investment
- Posterity Heights announces 3rd phase
- Posterity Heights Scholar House on the way to completing first phase
- Posterity Heights Scholar House looking to fill space with new campaign
- ACD Festival poster artist dies
- Soarin' Hawk receives generous donation
- 6 projects receive New Markets Tax Credit investments
- YWCA receives generous gift from Vera Bradley
- FWPD's K9 unit receives generous donation
- Veterans National Memorial Shrine and Museum receiving generous help